Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT FILE FORMATS ARE ACCEPTABLE?
Innovative Signs accepts print-ready files in any of the following formats: (Vector).eps, .ai, .pdf (Raster) .jpg or .tif, .ps, .psd. For raster image files we would like to see 150 or higher DPI. Vector artwork is preferred and will limit design time related charges.
*If you right-click on most online graphics, you are selecting and saving a low resolution web image that will not be accepted. Saving files in different formats will not increase the quality.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RASTER & VECTOR ARTWORK?
Raster image size: Pixel-by-pixel data is a lot of information to store, and can really start to stack up on high-quality images.
Raster image quality on re-size: When you re size a raster image, the data doesn’t scale well; if you shrink it, you lose pixel data as larger areas merge into smaller ones. If you enlarge it, you end up with a jagged image as single-pixel data has to expand to fill multiple pixels via messy interpolation.
Vector image size: File size for vector graphics is typically small and easy to email. Pantone® colors can also be embedded in this artwork.
Vector image quality on re-size: When you re-size a vector image, the data scales seamlessly. You can increase or decrease size without losing quality.
HOW WILL THE FINAL PRINTED JOB COMPARE TO MY UPLOADED ARTWORK FILE?
The color may vary, depending on how you submitted your files. The color on the screen cannot be guaranteed to match the finished product because every monitor can be calibrated differently. In addition, screen colors are represented in RGB, while printing colors are represented in CMYK. The color mode of submitted files must be CMYK or Pantone® to maximize color quality. If your files are submitted using any other color standard, such as RGB, they will be converted to CMYK during preflighting. Conversion from one color standard to another may cause colors to shift. For best results, we recommend that you submit your files in Pantone® Coated and reference them when you speak to the sales associate.
HOW MUCH DOES A SIGN COST?
There are many factors that determine the price of a sign or visual graphic. Here are few:
- What are you trying to accomplish with your sign?
- Determining the right type(s) of signs for you is step one.
- Do you have artwork or do we need to create it?
- How complicated is the sign design?
- Can the artwork just be printed, or are we building something more complex?
- Does the sign require a permit, and if so, will you acquire it or will we?
- How long does the sign need to last? A temporary sign could be made with vinyl or plastic, however a permanent sign would likely be made of acrylic, metal or wood, which are more expensive materials. Find more information surrounding our various sign materials here.
- How big is the sign? More material, more expense.
- Where and how will the sign need to be installed? How many people will it take to transport the sign, install and secure it? Will equipment need to be rented to install it?
- Do you need multiples of this sign or other signs as part of this project?
WHAT ARE SOME GOOD QUESTIONS WHEN LOOKING FOR A SIGN?
- A typical site survey for us would be taking pictures of where they would like signage along with measurements and dimensions of walls, windows, length between poles, etc.
- What is the purpose of this sign?
- How long are you looking to keep this sign?
- Do you want it illuminated? Is there electric there? Do you have an electrician?
- What type of material and style you looking for?
- What they want the signs to say?
- Do they want door vinyl with hours, logo, etc.?
- What is your budget amount for signage?
- What does the city, town or municipality allow?
DO YOU HAVE EXAMPLES OF WHAT A FINISHED PRODUCT WILL LOOK LIKE?
Yes, all our sign proofs have a design on what the sign will look like. All customers review and then approve our proofs before we make the sign. We also require 50% down on the sign to order materials, etc. the other 50% upon completion. We also always welcome people to come tour our sign shop to see how things are made with quality and care!